Dear Parents and Guardians,
The Board of Trustees and District Administration met Wednesday, March 18th to discuss possible closure to our schools, due to the continuous threat of the COVID-19 virus. In order to ensure the safety and health of our students and staff, the Board decided that the closing of the school district, at this time, was in the best interest of our students and community. School closure will begin on Friday, March 20th and will be in effect through Monday, April 6th. However, the Board and Administration will evaluate weekly the status of school resuming by the 6th. If this is not a possibility, the school closure will continue and alternative educational protocols and delivery will immediately be put into effect.
Staff at both the Elementary and the Junior-Senior High School will take these next several days to develop and provide a delivery system that will allow students to work at home and continue to receive educational services through various options, whether it be through online instruction or through teacher-prepared packets and study materials. Staff will be in touch with students and parents through emails, phone contact, online teleconferencing, etc. to provide support during this period should the school closure continue for an extended period of time. Please note that for households that do not have computers available in their homes, the District has a check-out program that can provide you with a computer for your child or children to use during this closure time.
We recognize that this will be a difficult time for you, as parents and guardians, in keeping your children at home but we need your help and support in educating your children to the importance of “social distancing” and the effects it has on lowering the chances of the COVID-19 virus from spreading. We cannot stress enough that this time away from school is not an “extended vacation” for your children. We ask for your assistance in monitoring your child or children’s activities and helping them stay focused on completing work and assignments provided by their teachers.
We do not know when this crisis will pass. We hoped that we could continue keeping our schools open during this time but, sadly, this is no longer an option. However, we also recognize that this is uncharted territory for us and it is better to be proactive than reactive. It will be a daunting task but together, we -parents and the school - can and will get our children and students through this crisis.
Thank you for your support and understanding. Please continue to monitor our school district webpage, our district Facebook page, or our SchoolPointe phone app for updates and further information on what the District is doing and/or requesting, as well as any up-to-date announcements. As always, please feel free to call or email Mr. John Haire, principal of the Elementary, Mr. Matt Rehl, principal of the Jr.-Sr. High School, or myself for further answers to your questions. Thank you.
Jeffrey A. Cirka, Superintendent